Tips For Holmdel Commercial Business Owners When Dealing with Water Damage
There are many different causes of water damage, and it is extremely important that commercial business owners understand what they are, how to prevent them, and where to turn for restoration help. Luckily, SERVPRO is well-educated and skilled in this, so below you will find tips for your Holmdel commercial business if you’re to deal with water damage.
Protect Yourself & Your Equipment
Water damage can not only pose a threat to the occupant’s wellbeing, but can also ruin your equipment. If water starts to come into your building, please do the following:
- Disconnect your technology from the walls and transport as much as you can to a safe place.
- Evacuate everyone that may be working in the flooded area.
- If you are to return to the building, please be sure you are wearing protective clothing. You don’t want the water to touch your skin, as there could be hazardous chemicals.
- Take pictures of the damage for your insurance company.
Find the Source
If you’re not aware of where the water is coming from, you’ll need to find it so you can try to do your best to make it less of a mess. Check the pipes in bathrooms, kitchens, etc. and ensure none of them burst; check for watermarks on the ceiling or drippage - this could be coming from the roof; check the windows, doors, etc. The faster you can spot the source, the less damage there could be.
Call Your Insurance Company ASAP
Once you have evaluated the area and took pictures, contact your insurance company right away so they are aware of the damage. The sooner they can help, the sooner you’ll get your funds to put everything back together.
What to Do After Flooding & What Not to Do
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and desk/tabletop items
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions
Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying (in the summer)
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place
- Gather loose items from floors
- Don’t leave wet fabrics in place
- Don’t leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors
- Don’t use a vacuum cleaner to remove water
- Don’t use technology like computers, fax machines, etc.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet
Contact a Water Restoration Company
If your Holmdel commercial business has been damaged by water caused by flooding or water leaks, we have the experience, expertise, and equipment to restore your business. Our water removal and cleanup process also provides validation and documentation that your property is dry.
About SERVPRO Team Harvey
SERVPRO of Lower Manhattan is proudly owned by Lance and Jennifer Harvey - a husband and wife duo that owns three other SERVPRO locations, including SERVPRO of Lower Manhattan, SERVPRO of West Somerset County, and SERVPRO of Hoboken/Union City.
We understand the stress and worry that comes with a fire or water damage and the disruption it causes your home or business. Our goal is to help minimize the interruption to your life and quickly make it “like it never even happened.”