Mold Prevention Tips
No one wants to find mold in house areas. Not only is it unsightly and smelly, it’s dangerous to your home and health. Mold prevention starts with understanding how and why it grows.
What Causes Mold in House?
Mold spores thrive on moisture, oxygen, humidity, organic matter and warmth. When exposed to water, it can quickly grow into colonies producing allergens and irritants. Because many of these elements are found organically in nature, it may be hard to remove them from your home to discourage mold growth. However, you can control the moisture levels in your house with preventative measures and mold testing.
- Inspect Plumbing: A regular inspection of toilets, dishwashers, pipes and other sources of water can help you better understand where leaking water could be. When you are familiar with the state of your plumbing, you will be able to catch leaks and other issues quickly. This can help stop water damage from taking place.
- Respond to Leaking Water and Other Moisture Immediately: Whether you notice your bathroom getting especially steamy during bathing or you see a small drip in your bedroom ceiling, you need to act quickly when you notice water issues to prevent mold from growing.
- Make a Plan: While not quite part of a mold prevention plan, know who you’re going to call should you find leaking water or mold in your home. The faster you get a mold testing and remediation team into your house the sooner your living space will be free of the unwanted growth.
When you call SERVPRO of Aberdeen/Holmdel to assist with your mold prevention and problems, we will ask several questions to determine what equipment and resources are required, including how many trained experts from our crew will be needed. Prepare for the call with these tips!
Flooded House: Does Your Home Have Mold?
If you're dealing with a flooded house, a burst pipe or water in basement or another room, you may be understandably concerned about mold. Mold is a health hazard: it can produce allergies and other health problems. And unfortunately, mold is a fast little bugger—it can grow in just 48 hours. Of course, mold spores exist everywhere you go…indoors and outdoors, so getting rid of every single spore from your home is simply impossible. A smart home restoration company will tell you that.
So, if you have water in basement or anywhere, and mold is on your mind, consider these facts about mold and then, we'll share what to do if you believe your house has a mold issue:
- So tiny! Mold spores are microscopic and can enter your house in many ways, like: windows, doors, AC or heating systems, your family pet, etc.
- Mold loves moisture! Mold spores will grow like wildfire in a moist environment and the mold will then produce allergens and irritants.
- Watch your humidity! Keep your home (indoors) humidity under 45%.
- What's that smell? Mold produces a nasty, musty smell, so trust your nose!
- Remediation, the right way! Before mold removal companies can properly handle mold remediation and cleanup in your home, the company must find the source of water or moisture that's growing mold…otherwise, the mold will most certainly come back again.
- Signs you've got a mold issue! If you or your loved ones are dealing with symptoms like: allergies, sore throat, fatigue, headaches, sinus issues, itchy eyes, etc., see a doctor and mention you may have a mold problem.
Mold Cleanup & Ways To Manage Your Mold Issues
So, you think you have a mold issue…now what?
Here are steps to take to manage your mold problem:
- Test Your Home:
Don't clean up a drop of mold until a company has tested to determine what type of mold you have and how bad the issue is. The test must be expansive and thoroughly done by professional that will then manage the mold cleanup and of course, remediation process.
- Identify The Cause:
It's very important as we mentioned earlier, to figure out what is causing the mold to grow. Otherwise, you can hire a company to remove the mold, but it will just grow right back! So whether it's a water leak in a wall, the humidity levels in your home, a busted pipe or what have you, that issue needs to be tackled first.
- Got Coverage? Or Not?:
Check if your insurance policy covers mold removal…this way you know how much the cleanup is going to cost you.
- Hire A Professional:
Research mold removal companies in your area. Look for companies with good references and reviews, who respond quickly to your call, who come with liability insurance and are properly certified and praised in the community.
Keep in mind that mold removal isn't an easy process and is rather complex. The good news is that with a reputable mold remediation company, the job will be done the right way, preventing further health issues and damage to your home.
If You See Signs of Mold,Call Us Today –SERVPRO OF ABERDEEN/HOLMDEL
Does Your MONMOUTH COUNTY AREA Home Have A Mold Problem? Mold can spread through a home in as little as 48 hours.
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Aberdeen/Holmdel for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Aberdeen/Holmdel specializes in mold cleanup and restoration. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water.These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold,Call Us Today –SERVPRO OF ABERDEEN/HOLMDEL 732-290-3170