Foreclosures Cleanouts: It's Not A Pretty Job
If you're buying a house that was in a foreclosure or you're an investor or realtor trying to get rid of a foreclosed property, you are most likely staring into the eyes of a complete mess. Foreclosure cleanouts are not pretty, but necessary in order to get the property sold or moved into for numerous reasons. And if a home is vacant to begin with, this can become a huge problem for the community itself, with a vacant home being ripe for vandalism, squatters, fire hazards, gang activity and other safety hazards. Not to mention, the deep cleaning services you'll need to get that vacant house into shape will be massive. Thankfully though, there are restoration companies that are willing to take on the job and do it right.
House Clean Out: Issues You Face With Foreclosed Homes
A house clean out isn't fun; people who are faced with losing their homes are not exactly worried about tidiness, but instead, getting out and grieving such a major loss. And unfortunately, home foreclosures don't seem to be decreasing, which means that many realtors and buyers are faced with foreclosed properties that need a ton of work. Here are some of the common cleanups that need to happen with foreclosed and vacant homes:
- Overgrown lawns and landscaping issues: This means that someone will have to care for the lawns and weed regularly enough so that way the place looks good and can be sold.
- Trash collection: Is there junk inside or out that needs to go? Look in the home, garage, shed, basement, etc. You're bound to find plenty of stuff that simply needs to be hauled.
- Pools and hot tub issues—from malfunctions to mosquito collections
- Interior issues: From broken windows to mold or what have you, the inside of a house will need deep cleaning services and beyond.
Restoration Services Near Me: You Need Experts
In addition to the formerly mentioned problems, be prepared to face other interior issues—
-Stained & shredded rugs and carpets
-Odor issues (smokers' lingering cigarette smell; cat urine, etc.)
-Junk left behind. Junk beyond junk beyond junk!
There's no wonder that anyone dealing with a foreclosed home will be googling "restoration services near me" as fast as lighting.
But here is the good news: cleaning and restoration services can bring that once dump of a home back to life in no time without you lifting a sweaty finger or hand!
The reality is this is a big job and not for a novice. Expert restoration companies are skilled at managing everything from trauma scenes to vacant homes. They see a big project such as a foreclosed home and have a plan to get everything in order within no time.
When searching for this type of company, look for:
- Company reviews & references
-Companies with a reasonable and strict turn-around time
-Companies that are able to start the job within a short amount of time
At the end of the day, using a restoration company will be an investment, but it will be a worthy one. You can rest assured that with a reputable company, you can get the house into great shape again with the peace of mind you get by hiring someone to do the job professionally and efficiently.
Flooding & Fire Restoration: Reasons To Hire A Company
A lot of people may be stressed about home restoration after flooding or a fire, but even if you are faced with a bad insurance policy or don't know who to hire, don't do this job yourself! Fire restoration and handling water in basement or other areas of the home is not a job for the everyday person for a variety of reasons.
- You're not a professional and most likely, don't quite know what you're looking for…and Dr. Google can't give you that expertise in a few Google searches
- You won't have the right equipment and could expose yourself to more toxins and smoke that you don't need to because of that fact
- The difference between the amount of time it will take you to restore your house vs. how long it will take a restoration company is huge
- You won't remove everything you need to, simply put
Let's dive into some of the issues that a home restoration company can manage and spot that you can't do on your own, when dealing with water and fire damaged homes:
Here's How Restoration Companies Help With Water & Fire Damaged Homes
Water in basement? Mold all over? Intense fire damage? Restoration companies are a worthwhile investment for your own health and the value of your home. Here's why:
- Water Problems
You probably can't even see the real water damage.
You can remove floodwater, but all the mold, fungus and microbes in the floodwater can grow in wet and moist locations. You may not see it happening right away, but they cause severe illnesses. Over time, you and your family could start to get sick. There is no price too high for your health. A restoration company has the experience and equipment to get rid of these invisible invaders that cause so much havoc on your home and health. And trust us: many individuals have spent countless hours researching mold inspection near me because of health symptoms like allergies and breathing issues. Don't let this happen to you and your loved ones.
- Fire Damage
While fire will create clearly marked areas of damage, fire also can create more "invisible issues" that the everyday person won't be able to discern. Usually, this is damage from the smoke. You may have areas of your house that look fine but have intense smoke damage. Only a professional would be able to tell.
And, let's not forget the smell of fire. Smoke is not an easy smell to remove, which is why you should step back and let the professionals handle it.
So, hopefully you realize how valuable a restoration company can be for you. And before you start to look into fire damage or mold inspection near me, consider the following factors when picking a company to entrust with your home:
- A restoration business should get back to you within an hour of your call, no matter when you call. Their business is helping people with emergencies and disasters.
- Research their services ahead of time to be sure they can do everything you need first. Plus, a reputable company will offer everything from clean up to restoration.
- Are they insured? Make sure they have liability insurance just in case something happens while the company is on the job.
- Read reviews—see what others have had to say about them.
Going through a flood or fire is stressful, but things will get better. The first step is finding a great restoration company that will put your home back together so you can be secure again, and avoid unwanted health hazards like mold and smoke.
Flooded House: Does Your Home Have Mold?
If you're dealing with a flooded house, a burst pipe or water in basement or another room, you may be understandably concerned about mold. Mold is a health hazard: it can produce allergies and other health problems. And unfortunately, mold is a fast little bugger—it can grow in just 48 hours. Of course, mold spores exist everywhere you go…indoors and outdoors, so getting rid of every single spore from your home is simply impossible. A smart home restoration company will tell you that.
So, if you have water in basement or anywhere, and mold is on your mind, consider these facts about mold and then, we'll share what to do if you believe your house has a mold issue:
- So tiny! Mold spores are microscopic and can enter your house in many ways, like: windows, doors, AC or heating systems, your family pet, etc.
- Mold loves moisture! Mold spores will grow like wildfire in a moist environment and the mold will then produce allergens and irritants.
- Watch your humidity! Keep your home (indoors) humidity under 45%.
- What's that smell? Mold produces a nasty, musty smell, so trust your nose!
- Remediation, the right way! Before mold removal companies can properly handle mold remediation and cleanup in your home, the company must find the source of water or moisture that's growing mold…otherwise, the mold will most certainly come back again.
- Signs you've got a mold issue! If you or your loved ones are dealing with symptoms like: allergies, sore throat, fatigue, headaches, sinus issues, itchy eyes, etc., see a doctor and mention you may have a mold problem.
Mold Cleanup & Ways To Manage Your Mold Issues
So, you think you have a mold issue…now what?
Here are steps to take to manage your mold problem:
- Test Your Home:
Don't clean up a drop of mold until a company has tested to determine what type of mold you have and how bad the issue is. The test must be expansive and thoroughly done by professional that will then manage the mold cleanup and of course, remediation process.
- Identify The Cause:
It's very important as we mentioned earlier, to figure out what is causing the mold to grow. Otherwise, you can hire a company to remove the mold, but it will just grow right back! So whether it's a water leak in a wall, the humidity levels in your home, a busted pipe or what have you, that issue needs to be tackled first.
- Got Coverage? Or Not?:
Check if your insurance policy covers mold removal…this way you know how much the cleanup is going to cost you.
- Hire A Professional:
Research mold removal companies in your area. Look for companies with good references and reviews, who respond quickly to your call, who come with liability insurance and are properly certified and praised in the community.
Keep in mind that mold removal isn't an easy process and is rather complex. The good news is that with a reputable mold remediation company, the job will be done the right way, preventing further health issues and damage to your home.
What To Do Before & After A Storm: Storm Damage 101
With hurricane season here, it's very smart to prepare your home and yourself and loved ones ahead of time in order to minimize any damage that you might incur. From gathering the correct hurricane supplies, to evaluating your home insurance policies so you know how they cover storm damage, we've got a guide here to help you navigate what to do both before a storm hits…and after the storm has gone and went.
While it's never good to obsessively worry about the absolute worst happening, it's always good to be prepared ahead of time so if your area is hit by a hurricane, you know that you already have a plan in place.
Make Sure You Have The Correct Hurricane Supplies
As you're preparing for a hurricane, keep this list of supplies handy that way you have everything you need before the first weatherman even breaks the bad news that a storm is headed your way. This is especially helpful just in case you need to evacuate. Waiting until the last minute may only have you waiting in long lines with other panicked neighbors…only to find out that the store is sold out of what you need.
- Have hurricane kits full of your supplies and make sure they're in a suitcase or even a plastic tub.
- These kits should have:
- First aid kit
- 3- day supply of non-perishable food
- Batteries & flashlights
- Plenty of water gallons for each person
- Maps of your area
- Can opener (manual) for food
- Dust mask
- Sleeping bags
You may also want additional items, like contact lens solutions, extra contacts, glasses, prescription medications or formula or baby food, as well as sanitary items like tampons, etc.
Being prepared is never foolish or over-the top: it's smart.
Preparing For A Hurricane: Preventative Measures
First things, first: do you live in a hurricane evacuation area?
If you don't know the answer to that question, you need to find out. Your local government will be able to tell you if you are and also, what their evacuation plans are. Knowing this ahead of time will prevent you from panicking when and if you need to actually evacuate.
Bonus tip: if you are in a high rise or mobile home, have a plan to evacuate even if you're not in an area that is defined as an evacuation zone.
The next big one? Check your insurance coverage so you know how they handle hurricane damage to homes.
What should you look for or have?
- Whether you're renting or you own, be sure that your home or rental insurance covers for flooding
- Know your policy inside and out, so you know what to expect in case your home ends up very damaged or destroyed
- Do a review of your home: is your roof in good shape? What about your home's structure? Do you have anything in your yard that could be a hazard in a storm?
After The Storm: Hurricane Damage To Homes
If your home is damaged by a hurricane, here are some tips to handling this stressful event:
- Check your home before entering with caution and wear protective gear from goggles to work gloves and a mask in case there are any issues with mold, asbestos, etc.
- If you smell gas or there is a downed powerline near your house, don't enter!
- Call your insurance company once your home is safe to enter so an adjuster can evaluate the situation.
- Do call a reputable storm damage cleanup company to help you get through this tragedy. Do not try to manage this on your own. The reality is you are not an expert and by trying to take a project on like that by yourself, you will end up frustrated. Research ahead of time to discover a company you can trust.
The bottom line is Mother Nature is not predictable, and while hurricanes and storms are very stressful, with common sense, a plan and the help of a reputable storm damage cleanup company, you can make it through the aftermath.
SERVPRO of Aberdeen/Holmdel Sending Help To Florida
Packing up some buckets of desperately needed supplies for Florida residents.
Flooded Basement in Monmouth County
A broken pipe was the cause of this Monmouth County business. This picture shows the mess left behind as SERVPRO of Aberdeen/Holmdel began to extract the water. The owner said that SERVPRO of Aberdeen/Holmdel were "Lifesavers".
24 Hour Service/Monmouth County Residents
SERVPRO of Aberdeen/Holmdel-Is ready to roll at a moments notice!!!!
SERVPRO of Aberdeen/Holmdel-Is ready to roll at a moments notice!!!!
Monmouth County Residents: We provide immediate service day or night!
SERVPRO of Aberdeen/Holmdel provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster in Monmouth County. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs.
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any-Sized Disaster
- Highly Trained Restoration Technicians
- A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment
Have Questions? Call Us 24/7 – 732-290-3170
Whether your Monmouth County home needs emergency flood damage or your upholstery cleaned, you can depend on us. Our technicians have extensive cleaning and restoration training and can make your property look its best. Learn more about our residential services:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Storm Damage Restoration
- Cleaning Services
- Building/Reconstruction Services
There's never a convenient time for fire or Water damage to strike your Monmouth County commercial property. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services we have the training and expertise to respond promptly with highly trained technicians to get your property back to business.
- Commercial Water Damage Restoration
- Commercial Fire Damage Restoration
IICRC Certified Firm
- Our Highly Trained Restoration Specialists can restore your Monmouth County Home
We are an IICRC Certified Firm
SERVPRO of Aberdeen/Holmdel is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must
- Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
- Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
- Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
- Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
- Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops The Standards For The Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace.
About SERVPRO of Aberdeen/Holmdel
SERVPRO of Aberdeen/Holmdel specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Monmouth County Residents: We Specialize in Flooded Basement Cleanup and Restoration!
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your Monmouth County basement could flood, including:
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
- And many more
Have Questions about Basement Flooding?
Call Today - 732-290-3170
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home’s structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home’s integrity. It’s worth making a call to SERVPRO of Aberdeen/Holmdel and let our trained, professional crews handle the situation safely and correctly. We have earned the trust of hundreds of homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
Basement Flooded? Call Us Today – We’re Ready To Help 732-290-3170
Restoring Your Monmouth County Commercial Property After A Water Damage Event
Flooding and water damage events at Monmouth County commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Aberdeen/Holmdel
SERVPRO of Aberdeen/Holmdel specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Call us today 732-290-3170