What Happens If My Fire Sprinklers Turn on Accidentally?
Installing a fire sprinkler system at your business was an easy decision. You trust this will save your property and potentially your life in an emergency. But what happens in the case of accidental activation? Will you have to deal with the process of water damage cleanup or worse, property damage?
Fortunately, all the sprinklers in your building won’t activate at once, rather, only in rooms where a high temperature triggers a response. Although rare, if an accidental activation occurs act fast to prevent secondary water damage.
- If a sprinkler accidentally goes off, turn off the main water source.
- Contact SERVPRO for containment and water damage cleanup We’ll ask several questions regarding your emergency to determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO professionals may be needed.
- Call your insurance agent and inquire whether this event is covered in your policy.
Keep Sprinkler System Up to Code
While it’s true that indoor fire sprinklers can accidentally activate, dumping gallons of water into your building and requiring restoration services, you can prevent it.
The National Fire Protection Association sets codes and standards for sprinklers and installation. These codes require that new construction commercial buildings be fitted with a sprinkler system. If you have an older building, a trained contractor can retrofit the system at your property.
- Prevent accidental activation by properly maintaining the sprinkler system to code.
- Regularly inspect the sprinklers for leaks and the pipes for adequate pressure.
If you’re facing an emergency involving water damage cleanup, don’t let a minute pass by. Call the professionals at SERVPRO of Aberdeen/Holmdel at (732) 290-3170 and put our restoration services to work.
Questions About Fire Sprinklers?
Call Us Today – (732) 290-3170