How to Prepare for Hurricane Season
If you’re wondering how to prepare for hurricane season, you’re not alone. With major hurricanes like Sandy and Michael wreaking havoc in many areas disaster restoration services are more in demand than ever. To prepare for weather-related damage at home or your business, you need a hurricane safety checklist. This one should help.
Tips to Help Prevent or Prepare for Disaster Restoration Services
- Be sure your insurance policy covers the total cost of rebuilding your home if it is destroyed during a hurricane.
- If your area is prone to flooding, buy flood insurance, which many homeowner policies do not include.
- Build a home emergency kit with things like flashlights, nonperishable foods, a portable generator, first aid equipment, and more.
- Take inventory of your property, so you know exactly what you need to replace and how much it’s worth.
- Trim or remove damaged trees and limbs surrounding your home
- Seal all windows and doors so that they are secure.
- Prepare home for hurricane season outdoors as well by retrofitting your roof and adding roof straps if you have access via an attic.
- Secure loose rain gutters and downspouts for and clear any clogged areas to prevent water damage.
- Prepare for hurricane season by removing outdoor furniture that could be carried away by strong winds.
- Check the FEMA website for additional tips and advice.
SERVPRO of Aberdeen/Holmdel is here with disaster restoration services 24/7 in case of a hurricane. Contact us today at (732) 290-3170 to learn more tips or to receive immediate assistance.