Your Hurricane Safety Checklist
When it comes to hurricane preparedness, you can’t be too prepared. Hurricane season has become above-normal, with major hurricanes like Sandy and Michael proving wreaking havoc in many areas. To prepare for weather-related damage at home or your business, you need a hurricane safety checklist. This one should keep you covered.
10 Safety Tips to Prepare Home for Hurricane Season
- Be sure your insurance policy covers the total cost of rebuilding your home if it is destroyed during a hurricane.
- If your area is prone to flooding, buy flood insurance, which many homeowner policies do not include.
- Build a home emergency kit with things like flashlights, nonperishable foods, a portable generator, first aid equipment, and more.
- Take inventory of your property, so you know exactly what you need to replace and how much it’s worth.
- Trim or remove damaged trees and limbs surrounding your home
- Seal all windows and doors so that they are secure.
- Prepare home for hurricane season outdoors as well by retrofitting your roof and adding roof straps if you have access via an attic.
- Secure loose rain gutters and downspouts for and clear any clogged areas to prevent water damage.
- Hurricane preparedness should include the removal of outdoor furniture that could be carried away by strong winds.
- Check the FEMA website for additional tips and advice.
SERVPRO of Aberdeen/Holmdel is here with storm damage services 24/7 in case of a hurricane. Contact us today to learn more tips to add to your hurricane safety checklist.